Thursday, September 15, 2011

Understanding The Body In Reference To Weight Loss

Well if that title caught your eye and you expect a brilliant answer, Sorry but that is not here. I do not think I will ever understand the body and how it works with weight loss. If you don't eat enough your body kicks into starvation mode and stores fat, if you eat to much it stores the excess as fat. So you have to find the right amount. Now that is where it gets complicated, some say 1200 calories is the right amount; then their is the 1500 opinion, that doesn't do it for me either. So what I have discovered is that everyone is different and what works for one person does not always work for you. I have found that 1800 to 200 calories a day is right for me know. Remember as you lose weight you may have to adjust this. Know I also realized with WLS that that will differ also.

But here is the problem I was having, getting that many calories in 3 meals was hard to do. Eating the right food and getting the calories is something that takes planning and effort. I saw my Doc yesterday and she said to eat snacks and cut back on the portion sizes at one meal. Why didn't I think of that.? I think because I am always looking for that big light bulb answer, when all the time it was the simple one. Kind of like computers, if your computer won't turn on; check to see if it is plugged up first kind of things. (you might be surprised how many times it is unplugged) So I have rewrote my menus and included snacks. I am getting my calories but not all at once. It is the theory that getting to much at once causes the body to store excess. This way it is spread out and not storing.

So see what works for you and do it. Of course exercise is as important as food is. I saw a program a while back that was talking about walking and its benefits. They said if you get 10,000 steps a day you are getting the optimum benefit. Now you may say WHAT? But the fact is that most people get 5,000 or more in their work, Setting at a desk may be less and a construction worker will get more than they so it varies how much you get at work. The other thing to remember is that it is accumulative. So through the day adds up. I, after trying to build back up after hospital; get 225 steps twice a day. but hen their are the trips to the table, bathroom, get the mail. I do not work right now but it adds up still. Take yesterday I went to the doctors, shopping, got gas, and went to Oxygen Plus and then church. that all adds up. So instead of getting 500 yesterday I ended up with almost 1500 steps. That is not bad for me. But you get the idea. Movement equals exercise. Don't fall into the idea that because you have a disability you can't do it. Unless your disability is the type that you can not move your limbs or are bed bound there is something you can do. When you talk on the phone walk around instead of setting eating the popcorn. All movement helps. So get up and get moving.

Stress Reducers:
Love yourself
Love Someone
Love God

Words of Wisdom:
If you are standing under a drip and do not want to get wet, move out from under the drip.

May the Lord continue to Bless you for His glory.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment