Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Check In at the Doc's / Being Kind To Yourself

Well today was my check in day with PA Mueller. Things are going very well. I have lost 23 pounds in the last three (3) weeks. Yeah! I have a lot of appointment next week, 3 on Tuesday alone. It is worth it because it brings me closer to surgery. So that is 76 more pounds to go to hit my target for surgery. I just want to take this moment to thank all the medical staff, friends, and family for supporting me in this journey.

Stress Reducers:
Watching the sun rise/set
Exercise
Swimming

Now I know that I have a phobia about swimming. Even in a swimming pool, Thank You Jaws, Jaws II, Jaws III, and Jaws IV. I get this erriee feeling something is behind me in the water. Crazy I know but I still think there is nothing better than a swim in a warm climate.

So lets talk today about negative vs. positive reinforcements. I had a therapist tell me once that I should think of it as a [tape] CD player. You have negative CD's and positive CD's. When you catch yourself in that negative space stop the player, eject the negative CD and put in the positive CD. Now this may sound a little silly but what it does is make you take account and stop what you are doing and start thinking positive. It really does work. As time progresses you will just make that switch without a problem. Stay out of the ruts. I know ruts are comfortable, they feel safe but you get run over a lot in those ruts. Make yourself do the things you like to do. No, that is not setting on the couch, watching reruns of Barnaby Jones and eating potato chips or laying in bed with the curtains drawn. You know you don't like that. Be honest with yourself, which is the hardest person to be honest with; it is comfortable maybe because no one can make fun of you or be rude to you or give you degrading looks but hey, so what. Get out there and move. Most people you will find will support and encourage you. I know I hated the thought of going to the gym. At first I got a few side glances but the more I went and people saw me trying, they became supportive. Even cheering me on. So do not let your fear keep you down. Put on that positive CD and get out there and live this crazy life.

Words of Wisdom:
People who live a life of tenacity and challenge break through all the obstacles they face just as water eventually carves a path through rock. Be strong like constantly flowing water, ever moving forward.


Favorite Songs:
“Indescribable”  [Chris Tomlin]
“Bring on the Rain”  [MercyMe]
“O Praise Him” [David Crowder Band]

Favorite Shows:
“Born Free”
Any John Wayne
“The King and I” W/Yul Brenner

Favorite Activity:
Fishing
Arrowhead Hunting [Can’t wait till I can do these again]
Camping

Favorite Jobs:
Gateway Youth [Hands Down First]
Working in the ER and Ambulance
Office Administration

Work for the future:
I don’t really now for sure except I would like to get back to the Medical field. Nursing, PA, Therapist? I have some time but I know one thing, I will not stay disabled. They told me it was a permanent disability. But I have not always listen to what people told me so why start now. I also want to go to India on a mission trip. My Pastors uncle goes every year, I believe; so my dream is to get well enough to make at least one trip with them. Well that is enough for today. Take care of yourselves and always be kind to yourself.

May The Lord Bless You All In
A Way
That Shows His Glory!

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment