Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Are Your Workout Mistakes Sabotaging Your Weight Loss?

So here comes the heat! What can you do that may sabotage your weight loss game when working out.

1 Working out in the mid day heat: If you are an outside person and do your workouts in the fresh air of nature, then try to avoid doing so in the midday heat. Dehydration can be reached very quickly in high heat. I remember in Ft Benning when I was stationed there, that several soldiers collapsed do to heat exhaustion and a couple even died. So try to exercise in the cool of the morning or the evening. Of coarse if you use a gym this is not such an issue but keeping hydrated is still very important.


2. Skimping on H2O: again I can not stress the importance of keeping yourself hydrated during any workouts. This includes when your out in the yard doing work. It is very easy to think I just need to get this done and then I will get a drink. Keep a bottle of water with you always. Keep yourself hydrated always. 


3. Toughing out high temps: I usually walk a mile but today is so hot, I still can do that mile. Then about 1/2 way through you go down like a sack of bricks. Heat can be very detrimental on the body. I believe anything over 100 degrees should be avoided when doing any physical insertion. I know some of you work hard in high heat to make a living but even then there are precautions you take. You say I can't afford a gym, well there are options. Mall walking, Almost everywhere has a super Wal Mart now days or walking during the cooler parts of the day.


4. Forgetting to apply Sun block: GUILTY! I am always forgetting to put on the sunblock. It is an important tool to use to keep such things as skin cancers and burns to a minimum; If you are going to be in the sun a lot use a SPF 30 or more for the best protection.(wearing long sleeves and a hat does not hurt either)


5. Repletion spent energy: Remember after workout to get plenty of H2O, and some sort of carb or calorie intake. You are counting calories and you want to burn more than you take in, but if you burn more than you should the body will go into starvation mode and will start hanging onto everything and storing as fat so where have you gotten. This will allow a fast recovery for the next days workout, Now I am not saying hit Pizza hut or McD's after your workout.  A good fortified protein drink or bar would be a great recovery, and then about 20 min latter hit the liquids. The reason behind this is if you intake a solid and then wash it down with a drink you are actually washing it out. The liquid will help flush it through before your system can absorb the nutrients so again what have you gained. As far as that I would recommend ant time you eat wait 20 to 30 min before drinking any kind of liquid.


So there you have it. Exercise Smart, and keep getting healthy. I know it pays off first hand. I have lost 185 pounds in the last 17 months, I no longer need Diabetes meds, Sleep aid, my cholesterol is lower and all my blood work is normal. Does it pay off, in more ways than I can begin to say.


I had my three month check in yesterday and everything is going great. I needed to bump up my protein intake but the rest is going well. I am back on regular food now. So hang in there. Remember this is a life long journey and I have the belief that you will succeed!


Until next time


Tom






No comments:

Post a Comment